We are half way through the holiday season with two down and two to go. We are constantly at war with our willpower and are always trying to push it to its limits. With Halloween and Thanksgiving over, Christmas and New Years are the two remaining food holidays of the year. I think of these two holidays as the “double punch,” one right after the other. The atmosphere, within six days, changes from “Hmmm… maybe just one more cookie…” to “Hmmm… we’re out of champagne already?” My problem tends to fall along the “sweet” side of things. When it comes to cookies, cakes, and all those sweet decadent holiday drinks, my willpower hits zero.
Eggnog is always a traditional drink at the holiday parties I attend. However, it’s loaded with saturated fat and calories. Here’s a great, guilt-free, low-fat version of the traditional treat. You can enjoy this one with or without alcohol.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 1/2 cups fat free half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rum or brandy (optional)
- freshly grated nutmeg to garnish
- In large NutriBullet cup combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, egg and egg whites and mix for 40 seconds.
- Gently heat milk in a large saucepan. Gradually stir egg mixture into the hot milk. Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Let the milk and egg mixture cool a little before blending in smaller batches in the NB large cup with fat-free half-and-half.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, add rum or brandy if desired and sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg on top.
Since only one egg yolk is used instead of the normal dozen, it will look a little paler than its saturated-fat counterpart. Also, if you don’t want to add alcohol, try a little (1/2 tsp) of rum extract instead. As always, please take creative liberties!