Salad Dressing Makeover1
Raw'kin Snack of the Week
Summertime is nearing its end – but that doesn’t mean we have to eat like it! Let’s keep the fresh, crunchy, bright colors of summer around for as long as we can. But let’s ditch the unhealthy, bottled dressings of yester-year and make our own healthy version, just like summer would like.
We all know that the oils and sugar in many salad dressings can pack on the fat and calories. Homemade salad dressing is not only delicious, but it’s healthier than the store-bought kind and surprisingly, very easy to make. A zesty salad dressing can help you use your calories wisely, while adding that extra flavor kick.
Here’s a quick salad dressing makeover. It gets most of its flavor from the applesauce and mustard. Both are low in calories and fat- but your tastebuds won’t know it!
Salad Dressing Makeover
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of regular or dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Add all ingredients to the short NutriBullet cup and extract until smooth. Chill for 30 minutes. Give a quick mix and serve over your favorite green salad.
This dressing works well with your favorite salad and tastes especially good over spinach. It also dresses up a chicken salad.
For an extra pop, add just a touch of red pepper flakes. As usual, please feel free to adjust to your own taste buds.
Now, go forth and eat salad!